Saturday, December 08, 2007

Filmmakers are everywhere

The day after I thought of my crazy idea, I went to a coffee shop with my journal, to try and get some ideas down. I found an empty table by the windows, next to a lanky guy working on a laptop. He wore dark pants with white socks.

I was there no more than ten minutes when a friend of his walked in.

FRIEND

How's it going?

LANKY LAPTOP GUY

Great. One hundred and thirty pages with a run time of two-hours and fifteen minutes. We're ready to go.

"Good God," I thought. "The guy's a filmmaker."

What are the odds? Well, nowadays in a city like Cambridge, MA, the odds seem pretty short. When I first moved to the Boston area in 2000, Cambridge was full of writers and musicians. Today, it seems that those former writers and musicians are all making films.

The idea of so many people making films caused me a momentary panic.

I thought, "What kind of chance do I think I have of landing a film in a festival like SXSW when there are so many people like dark pants-white socks over there making films?" The odds, I thought, were not very good.

But since then, I realized that my fear isn't that there are too many filmmakers out there; my fear is that I will make an ordinary film.

My fear is that I'll be just another person, adding to the hoard of fashion-impaired filmmakers already out there.

My fear is that I'll bust my butt to create just another mediocre screener in the SXSW in-basket.

I'll have to work hard to make sure my entry stands out. I'll have to be unique.

2 Comments:

At 2:16 PM , Blogger Sujewa Ekanayake said...

Hey Eric,

Nice to see the blog back.

Don't worry about the first couple of features, most people end up not liking their first movies after a short while.

Maybe making a bunch of shorts will help you figure out what kind of stuff you like in your movies.

Good luck!

- Sujewa

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Eric S. said...

Thanks, Sujewa. I've been neglecting blog things for a while. Maybe it was the holidays, my job or any number of other things that crop up to steal time from my other interests. I don't know. I'm just trying to simplify my life and have some fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home